After receiving my Arcadia Quest minis from Kickstarter last year, I picked out the models I liked best and painted them. I have to admit, that I did not like most of the character designs. From all the minis in the box I only painted four.
Some time ago we started playing Arcadia Quest and I had to pick 3 characters for my guild. I picked Sonja and Nibbles first, as I had already painted them (I tend to pick characters in a board game based on which character design I like and not how effective the characters are). Elysia and Chooloo were already taken by that time, so I had to pick another character. After some deliberation I choose Scarlet and I did not regret my decision.
So far Scarlet did not really shine in-game (Sonja is a beast and I tend to activate her a lot), but she had of course to be painted after I picked her for my guild. The model is fantastic and I really don’t know why I did not paint her last year with the other minis.
Tried something new with her dagger. After reading a lot about painting weapons in non-metal-metal I completely changed my so far rather simple approach and modified my color choice. Really happy with the result. Takes a lot more time than my old approach, but the result is far superior. Will apply this technique to all my models from now on.
I found this cute SDE sized Gelatinous Cube on Shapeways and as the Cubes are some of my favorite monsters from D&D, I decided I needed one.
I ordered the model in “Plastic: Frosted ultra detail”, which is one category below the printing quality I chose for the Ghost model. I don’t know if it was due to the printing quality or the model itself, but there were noticable steps on the surfaces of the sides and top of the cube. As there were none on the front and the eyes I think it is an issue with the model, rather than the printing quality. The problem was only minor, though, as a few strokes with a file removed the steps.
I have to admit, that I was very disappointed with Kasaro To’s sculpt when it was released. The other SDE Relic Knights crossover mini sculpts look great, but his proportions are just off and he doesn’t have a chibi flair at all. Nevertheless, he is a SDE mini and so he had to be painted.
I chose to paint him in an original paint scheme, heavily inspired by the Mogu from World of Warcraft’s Mists of Pandaria expansion. To further the Asian theme I added a small lantern from Wyrd Games Asian Zen Base Accessories to his base.
I used the time around christmas to polish the website a bit. The preview pics I used until recently were rather small and showed only a small section of the actual image, so I redid all of the preview pictures on the mini pages. Updated the category pages, too, to get more of a gallery feeling.
Additionally I added a painting timeline where I list everything I paint:
While going through lots of old photos I found some photos of terrain elements from June and July 2010 which I forgot to add to the page. Fixed that:
Finished Codifier Kisa, the last of the SDE Relic Knights crossover mini heroes. The only crossover mini left to do is the miniboss Kasaro To.
Added a small cat from Maow Miniatures to the minis base.
Shortly before the end of the year I finished the third SDE Relic Knights crossover mini – Sebastian Cross.
Four done, two to go.
Another SDE Relic Knights crossover mini done – One Shot.
While the Relic Knights One Shot minis looks very much like a sniper, this mini came with a gun with a very wide muzzle which looked like a blunderbuss. As I liked the idea of a long range rifle more, I cut off the muzzle and replaced it with the barrel of an old Games Workshop Kroot plasic rifle I had lying around.
Finished the next SDE Relic Knights crossover mini – Calico Kate. Still love my custom base style for SDE but it is always great to modify them a bit based on the minis. With the pirate Calico Kate I added some planking and a little crab from Freebooter Miniatures.
Four more crossover minis to go.
I realized some time ago that it has been more than a year, since I painted my last SDE miniature. Princess Malya, the first of the SDE Relic Knights crossover minis, has been sitting primed on my painting desk for all this time, looking at me with her happy face. About time that face got some paint.
Today I present my first SDE mini of 2015 – Princess Malya. Really like the dynamic mini. Went mostly with the original color scheme, substituting blue with purple. Really loved the idea of the color transition in her hair. Very pleased with how it turned out on the mini.
I’ll continue painting the crossover minis and will try to get as many of those as possible finished this year.
I’m rather sure that 3d printed minis will have a big impact of the mini industry in the coming years. Heard a lot of good things about Shapeways and decided to place an order with them some weeks ago. Was pleasantly surprised that they have a production center in Europe, which had a very positive effect on delivery costs and time.
My first ever painted 3d model is the Ghost from Star Wars Rebels in about 1:1650. It should fit in nicely with the Rogues and Villains expansion for Star Wars: Armada. The model was created by Mel_Miniatures.
The models on Shapeways are still rather expensive. More than 16€ for such a small model is a hefty price. In X-Wing scale the model costs more than 150€, which is about triple the price the prepainted Ghost model from Fantasy Flight is expected cost.
I chose “Plastic: Frosted extreme detail” for the printing quality and the detail on the mini is really great. The material seems to be very durable, but I had to clean it very thoroughly before it accepted paint.